December 25, 2013 was the start of a Charlotte Rotary tradition to serve breakfast on Christmas morning to over 350 homeless clients at the Charlotte Rescue Mission.
Founded in 1938, the Charlotte Rescue Mission has a long history of reaching out to the homeless and those battling addictions. Over the years, the Mission has been located in several different uptown Charlotte buildings and has been called several different names, but our commitment to serving the homeless and sharing the gospel of Christ has never changed.
Many people who came to the Mission for help during these early years were struggling with addiction. In 1990, the Mission made a commitment to hire a Christian staff trained in professional substance abuse recovery services. With this, Charlotte Rescue Mission launched a 90-day residential program empowering individuals to move beyond cycles of homelessness and addiction to become productive citizens in the community. This program is known as Rebound and has helped thousands of men over the years.
Rebound served men struggling with addiction and homelessness; but, despite a staggering community need, there was no similar program for women. In 1992 Charlotte Rescue Mission launched the Dove’s Nest program. Similar to Rebound, Dove’s Nest provides comprehensive addiction recovery services for women.
In 1995, Rebound men’s Halfway House opened its doors. The Halfway House provides further opportunities for Rebound graduates to maintain long-term sobriety as they transition out of dependency on community programs and transition into self-sufficiency.
In 2008, Dove’s Nest Capital Campaign was launched to expand Dove’s Nest women’s addiction recovery program from a 12-bed facility to a 120-bed facility. For the first time in our history, the Mission is now able to serve children as well as their mothers, with beds for 90 women and 30 of their children. Doors of this new facility opened in July, 2012.