The purpose of the Rotary Club of Charlotte Public Safety Scholarship Fund is to provide scholarships to undergraduate students who are children of Charlotte area public safety personnel. Awards will be made on the basis of academic merit, financial need and community service. This fund was established by the Rotary Club of Charlotte immediately in the wake of the September 11, 2001 tragedy in New York. These scholarships are intended to recognize the service and sacrifices made by our local public safety providers. It is a small way in which our community can say “thank you” to those who serve us so faithfully and often at great personal risk.
Recepients will receive $1,500 per year for four years for a total of $6,000.
Rotary Club of Charlotte Public Safety Scholarship Fund applicants must meet the following criteria:
1. Mother and/or father are full time employees of the Charlotte Fire Department, Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department, Mecklenburg County Sheriff’s Office or MEDIC, with a minimum of one year of service.
2. High school seniors intending to enter a two-year or four-year degree program.
3. Have a minimum 2.5 cumulative grade point average (on a 4.0 scale).
4. Demonstrate financial need.
The Scholarship Committee will consider the following when selecting recipients:
1. Prior academic performance.
2. Financial need as determined by the costs of college attendance compared with an applicant’s household income and other financial factors.
3. Record of good citizenship, as evidenced by school and community involvement beyond required activities.
4. Preference in scholarship awards will be given to students who are pursuing study in criminal justice, fire science or emergency medical service; however, all programs of study will be considered.
Since 2002, The Rotary Club of Charlotte has awarded more than 100 scholarships to children of our first responders.
Application Forms and information can be found on the Foundation for the Carolinas site. The selection process is administered through FFTC, not the Rotary club. Learn more